Chickpea and Carrot stew is another vegetarian dish that is currently on my list of favourites. Besides the fact that it is tasty and healthy, it is also a one-pot meal, which makes it easier to clean up afterwards. 😀
This dish is inspired by Moroccan cuisine, using cinnamon powder and dates to add sweetness. It can be made with either dried or canned chickpeas. If using dried chickpeas, it is very important that you soak them overnight to ensure that they are well cooked.
To add some freshness to the dish, I topped it up with a mixture of feta cheese and fresh parsley, which also adds some tang to the stew. For a vegan dish, you can eliminate the feta topping.
This hearty dish can be served with rice and/or flatbread.
Chickpea & Carrot Stew
A spiced vegetable stew topped with tangy feta and served with rice.
- 200g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight (or 400g can chickpeas)
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 l water*
- 100g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Sea salt & black pepper
- In a food processor, pulse the onion, garlic cloves, ginger and coriander until finely chopped.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, heat two tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, add the onion mixture and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the cumin seeds, cinnamon, chopped dates and tomato paste, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the drained chickpeas, carrots, bay leaf, water and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower the heat and let it simmer gently for 45-60 minutes or until the carrot and chickpeas are properly cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- While the stew is simmering, place the feta cheese together with the caraway seeds, parsley and two tablespoons of olive oil in a small bowl and combine. Set it aside to let the flavours infuse.
- Serve the carrot and chickpea stew topped with the feta cheese mixture and a side of rice.
*You will need less water if you are using canned chickpeas since these are already fully cooked. Start with 500ml water first and then add a splash more if necessary.