Although the weather is changing, sometimes we still have a cold wintery day. On such days, nothing is better than a warm bowl of soup. At the moment, you will find a lot of beautiful white cauliflower at the local farmers market. So I decided to grab one and make this creamy delicious soup to comfort us on a cold day.
I have made this soup on multiple occasions. It is very easy to prepare and it only requires simple ingredients that are easily found in our kitchen. It is great to make ahead and also perfect to freeze any leftovers.
The cauliflower soup is ideal to serve as a starter during a big family dinner. It is also excellent to serve as a weeknight dinner. This recipe is vegan, gluten-free and lactose-free.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
A creamy, healthy and delicious bowl of comfort food.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 1 large onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 zucchini
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bayleaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard seeds
- 800ml vegetable stock
- Sea salt & black pepper
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Chop the onion, carrot and zucchini. Cut the cauliflower into small florets and finely mince the garlic.
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil. Add the chopped onion and carrot and sauté them for 6-8 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and zucchini and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bayleaf, oregano, thyme and mustard seeds and cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and a good grind of black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then let it gently simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Let it cool slightly and then blend until you have a lump-free creamy consistency.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve warm, topped with fresh parsley.