Intense fudgy chocolate brownies? Oh yes please! 😀
A chocolate treat is always my go-to dessert when I am making dessert for a crowd. It is a safe option because everybody loves chocolate. This rich and decadent chocolate brownie will make you go for another slice.
This recipe uses aquafaba (water from canned chickpeas) instead of eggs. Make sure to use cold aquafaba as it will be easier to whip up to stiff peaks. And don’t worry, your guests will never guess that there is chickpea water in their brownies. It will not taste or smell of chickpeas. It is just there to give the structure, lift and fluffiness to the chocolate brownies.
Serve these brownies with a scoop of (vegan) vanilla ice-cream for a truly decadent dessert! I am sure it will be a great and remarkable way to finish your meal.
Vegan Chocolate Brownies
A fudgy chocolate brownie for an indulgent treat.
- 350g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 120g coconut oil
- 250ml aquafaba, cold
- 160g sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 260g plain flour
- 50g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celsius. Line a 12’x8’ baking dish with baking paper.
- Using the Bain Marie method, melt the chocolate and coconut oil together. Set aside to cool sightly.
- In the meantime, in a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using a stand or hand mixer, whisk the aquafaba and sugar together until stiff peaks form.
- Add the vanilla extract to the melted chocolate and gently fold into the whipped aquafaba until evenly combined.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients into the chocolate mixture until no dry lumps are visible. Do not over mix!
- Transfer the mixture to the prepare baking dish and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out slightly smudged.
- Allow the brownies to cool to room temperature before removing from the baking dish. Slice into 12-16 pieces.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or at room temperature on their own.