The asparagus season is past its peak now. However, we are still enjoying the last of the season. We basically eat a year’s worth of asparagus in just a couple of weeks while it is fresh and locally source-able. So here’s another asparagus recipe… 😀
I made this loaf combining fresh asparagus with the mediterranean taste of sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives. The dried oregano and thyme leaves complemented the other ingredients while the addition of cheese brought the flavours altogether.
I prefer to use a combination of plain and wholemeal flour however, it also works well using just plain flour.
This loaf is perfect for lunch or as a snack. It is also great to share with family and friends at a dinner party, picnic or BBQ. It is very easy to prepare, looks great and more importantly tastes amazing! 😋😋😋
Asparagus, Sun-dried Tomato & Olive Loaf
Alternative bread loaf combining green asparagus with mediterranean flavours
- 100g plain flour
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 100g olive oil
- 100g milk
- 200g green asparagus, cut into 5cm pieces
- 100g sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100g kalamata olives, pitted & roughly chopped
- 60g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 60g gruyere cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare a 22 x 10 x 5cm loaf tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the plain and wholemeal flour, baking powder, oregano, thyme, salt and a good grind of fresh black pepper.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs together with the olive oil and milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients onto the flour mixture and combine until no dry lumps are visible.
- Set aside a couple of asparagus tips, some olives and 1/3 of the cheese. Add the remaining asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and cheese into the loaf mixture and mix everything together until all ingredients are well distributed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin. Top with the reserved asparagus tips, olives and grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes, cover it with aluminium foil and bake covered for another 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let it cool for 10 minutes in the loaf tin before transferring it to cooling rack.