Zucchini are one of my favourite vegetables. On their own, they can be boring and tasteless, but add them to various dishes, spice them up, and they absorb the flavours and juices from other ingredients and they tell a very different story. In this regard, they can be very versatile and can be included in both savoury and sweet dishes. Have you seen my Double Chocolate Spiced Zucchini Muffins recipe? Or the Cheesy Zucchini Muffins?
Saturday lunches for me are usually preparing something quick in between errands. These fritters are one of my favourite things to do, especially when zucchini are in season and available in abundance. These fritters bring sunshine to the plate as they are tangy and fresh at the same time. They include feta cheese, lemon zest, spring onions and a lot of fresh parsley. For a super quick lunch, they were definitely full of flavour and healthy too! I served them with a side of couscous drizzled with extra virgin olive oil and more fresh parsley.
Next time you want to prepare something quick, I suggest you give these fritters a try, I am sure you will love them 🙂
For more zucchini recipes, check out my other recipes here.
Zucchini & Feta Cheese Fritters
Fluffy, tangy zucchini and feta cheese fritters
- 1 large zucchini, coarsely grated
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- A bunch of fresh parley, roughly chopped
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4-6 tbsp wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the zucchini, feta cheese, spring onions, garlic, parsley, lemon zest and chilli flakes.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and generously season with salt and pepper. Stir into the zucchini mixture.
- Add the flour and baking powder to the mixture. Start with 4 tablespoons and then add more flour if the mixture is too watery.
- In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once hot, drop a couple of tablespoons of the zucchini mixture in the pan, leaving some space in between.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Serve warm with a side of couscous, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, a slice of lemon and garnish with fresh parsley.